Four family members die after eating 'amala' in Ilorin

Date: 2018-11-16
Four members of a family lost their lives in Ilorin, Kwara state capital, after consuming yam flour better known as "amala" in the south-western part of the country.

Four others who took from the meal suspected to be poisonous had also been hospitalised at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).

The incident happened at Magaji-Ogo community behind Kwara State College of Arabic and Islamic Legal Studies in Ilorin west local government area.

NAN quoted a source as saying the victims took the meal on Sunday night before three of them were found dead the following morning.

According to him, the fourth casualty, who was the head of the family, died on Wednesday.

"Those feared dead are the family head, his sister and two children, while those recuperating in the hospital are the mother and three other children,” the source was quoted to have said.

"The corpses of the deceased had been buried in accordance with Islamic rite. They were eight that took the meal.

"Though we are not sure yet of the cause of death, the meal was taken alongside amphibian and there is a suspicion that they died of poisoning. "Officials from the state Ministry of Health were in the community to take samples of the meal for test but nothing was yet to be said of the findings.” The family is an extension of the district head of Adewole, popularly known as Alangua Adewole in Ilorin.

Meanwhile, Oluwatosin Fakayode, director, public health and disease control in the state ministry of health, confirmed the incident.

He, however, said the ministry was yet to identify the cause of the "ugly and unfortunate occurrence."

Fakayode told NAN that samples from the meal were taken for laboratory investigation, which would be out within the next 24 hours.

"As it stands, it is difficult to say the cause until the result is out," he said.

"However, we are definite that it is food poison because of the symptoms, but we are not sure of the food item that is culpable.

"We learnt they took these amphibian that they hawk around with it. So we are not sure if it is the source of the death because some of them are poisonous.

"Though we have not identified the culprit in terms of whether it is organism or chemical, definitely, it is a symptom of food poison.

"But our suspicion is the amphibian. It could be preservatives that were used on the items that were used for the meal." NAN

 

 


Cloud Tag: What's trending

Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.

Abdulmajeed Wahab     Abdulganiyu Oladosu     Buhari     Kayode Yusuf     JAMB     Daud Adeshola     Oja-Oba     IQRA College     ARMTI     Kwara South     Ojuekun Sarumi     Ajibike Katibi     Oke-Ero     Kale Bayero     Lanre Issa-Onilu     Third Estate     March 28     Nurudeen Mohammed     Matthew Babaoye     Www.Kwarareports.com     Saheed Popoola     Iyabo Adewuyi     Share/Tsaragi     Babatunde Idiagbon     Olusegun Adeniyi     Soffiyyallah Kamaldeen     Alapado     Baba-Isale     Revenue Court     Solomon Edoja     Adegoke Bamidele     CUTI     Maigida Soludero Transit     Omu-aran     Isiaka Yusuf     Mahmud Durosinlohun Atiku     Ajidagba     Senate Presidency     Dairo Kunle Paul     Kale Ayo     Alao Ayotunde     Ibrahim Kayode Adeyemi     Al-Ilory     Garuba Alikinla Shittu     Olatunji Bamgbola     Yoruba     Kayode Zubair     Yakubu Shaaba     UITH     Valsolar-Kwara Company Limited     Sarakite     Yusuf A. Usman     Bola Shagaya     Taofik Abdulkareem Babaita     QuickWin     Modibbo Kawu     Firdaos Amasa     Gbemisola Saraki     Rasaq Jimoh     IFK     Oba Abdulraheem     Amuda Bembe     Muritala Awodun     08001000100     Ishaq Oloyede     Segun Abifarin     Quareeb Islamic Association     Ramat Oganija     Ishak Mohammed Sabi     Fatai Garuba Labaka     Hassan Saliu     Patigi Regatta     Sandal     Tinubu     NULGE     Manzuma     Ilorin