Belgore slams N5b libel suit against Herald
•Court adjourns hearing to June 26
Justice Ayinla Bamigbala of the Kwara State High Court in Ilorin, North Central Nigeria, on Tuesday, adjourned to June 26, hearings in the N5b libel suit the Kwara ACN Governorship Candidate, Mohammed Dele Belgore (SAN), slammed against Kwara Herald, the news daily owned by the PDP-led state government.
Belgore, who was due to enter the witness box to testify in the case, had arrived the courtroom at 9a.m. in company of leading chieftains of the party and a crowd of ACN supporters, including his running mate, Joshua Adeyinka, and Hassan Atanda of the Emirate Vision.
The libel suit followed a front-page news story in the Sunday Herald of April 17, 2011, titled: "Kwara guber polls: Tinubu invests N7.5b on Belgore." The story alleged , among other things, that Belgore signed a bond with the ACN National Leader, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, to be given N7.5billion to prosecute his governorship election campaign in return for patronage and redemption of the loan.
A section of the paper Belgore considered libellous include: "In his determinant to win the coming gubernatorial election, the ACN candidate for the governorship election, Mohammed Dele Belgore (SAN), has reportedly signed a bond of 7.5b with the ACN sole financier Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Sources close to the ACN leader revealed over the weekend that Tinubu allegedly offered to provide massive funding for the prosecution of the campaign ….
"Following the loss ACN suffered in Kwara last week, Belgore allegedly left Ilorin for Abuja where he reportedly declared that he had exhausted his financial resources on the National Assembly election. He allegedly told ACN chieftains who were in Abuja to work out alliances with CPC and that he would need a massive financial support if ACN must win the guber race in Kwara. at a meeting with Tinubu. Later, Belgore was allegedly promised a whopping 7.5b to deliver Kwara. The money allegedly came in the form of a bond which Belgore reportedly needed to sign."
The matter was slated for trial Tuesday, May 15. The judge came to the courtroom but later told counsel to both parties that he had an official Bar event to attend. Although he offered to resume hearing in the afternoon, but counsel to Belgore, Babajide Ogundipe, said he was returning to Abuja Tuesday afternoon to appear for a case on Wednesday.
Kwara Herald was represented by Wahab Bamidele. Both parties had filed their pleadings and issues for determination before the court, paving the way for full trial.
Cloud Tag: What's trending
Click on a word/phrase to read more about it.
Ahman Pategi University Folorunsho Alao Abdulhakeem Adelaja Amao Rotimi Samuel Olujide Guber Aspirant Ilorin South Constituency Ali Ahmad James Kolo Village Alive Development Association Okeose Christian Cementary Facemasks Senate President Kayode Zubair IYA YUSUF Rafiu Olasile Saad Omo\'ya Michael Nzwekwe Adamu Jemilat-Baki Babata Balogin Alanamu Olaiya Lawal Garuba Alikinla Shittu Orisa Bridge Pacify Labs Senate Presidency Bello John Olanrewaju Government House Jumoke Gafar Boko Haram Ophthalmological Society Of Nigeria Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Ganiyu Abolarin Olokoba Sulyman Lanre Badmus Aminu Adisa Logun Baboko Primary School Dar-Al-Handasah Consultants ENetSuD Gambari NAWOJ Frootify Kanu Agabi Paul Odama Lawal Jimoh Saadu Gbogbo Iwe Oloye Kola Adesina International Public Sector Accounting Standards Michael Imoudu National Institute For Labour Studies Ilesha-Gwanara Segun Olawoyin Police Commissioner Afonja Descendants Union Kaiama Kolawole Akande Sadiq Umar Jamila Bio Ibrahim Kwha.gov.ng Earlyon Technologies Ilorin Curfew Odogun Olushola Gabriel Cassava Growers\' Association Ahmed Shuaib Buranga Kwara NIPR Ayodele Shittu Yusuf Amuda Abubakar Isiaka Abdulrazak Femi Oladiji Muhammad Yahya Olatunji Abdulmumeen National Party Of Nigeria Bashir Adigun Henry Makinwa Neo Mundo Ltd Omar Bolaji Gambari Chartered Institute Of Personnel Management Of Nigeria Kemi Adeosun

